Google Forms is a great tool from Google that you can use for either surveys . Surveys are a great way to know about the views of different people about a particular subject. Surveys give you an idea of what the audience is thinking. To create a survey, one can easily use Google Forms.
Surveys are a great way to know about the views of different people about a particular subject. Surveys give you an idea of what the audience is thinking. To create a survey, one can easily use Google Forms.
Table of Contents - Article Hierarchy
- What is Google Forms?
- How to Create Surveys with Google Forms
- Step 1: Access your Google Drive
- Step 2: Accessing the Google Forms option
- Step 3: Configuring your survey form
- Step 4: Sending the survey
What is Google Forms?
Google Forms is a software tool made by Google that is often used to create forms. One can create various type of forms using Google Forms such as a feedback form, party invites, surveys etc.
One of the best thing about Google Forms is that it is free. While it is free, it lacks one thing and that is, the “if this then that” functionality. The lack of this feature makes Google Forms unusable in situations where this functionality is needed.
How to Create Surveys with Google Forms
From a function invite to a simple survey, Google Forms can do any of these things with ease. If one wants to create a simplified survey then, he can use Google Forms as it is free-to-use as well as does not consume much time. Let’s see the steps you can follow to create surveys easily and instantly using Google Forms:
Step 1: Access your Google Drive
You need a Google Drive account for accessing Google Forms service. Make sure you have a Google ID with access to Google Drive. You can access Google Drive by going to drive.google.com and logging in using your Gmail ID.
Step 2: Accessing the Google Forms option
- In the Google Drive, you need to click on the “New” button.
- After clicking on the button, you need to click on the “More” option that is at the bottom of the drop-down list.
- In that drop-down list, click on the first option i.e. “Google Forms”.
- In the “Google Forms” option, you will get two options, to have a “Blank Form” or “From a template”, choose the one you want.
- Clicking on that option will open a tab which contains all the configurations for the survey.
Step 3: Configuring your survey form
Now, all that is left is configuring your survey form. Google Forms provide you with many settings that you can configure according to your needs.
Let’s go through all the settings in detail for a better understanding of each component:
The “Questions” tab
- The first thing you are going to see are two options, one will be “Questions” and another will be “Responses”.
- Under the “Questions” tab, you will have many options, first will be the “Title” option, with “Form Description” option just below it.
- Below this, there will be an option to fill your question with a drop-down on its right side that will allow you to set various aspects of the question. You can also add images, videos etc. with the question. Also, you can add sections in your form in order to cover multiple contexts in separate sections.
- Let us have a look at all the options you get while setting up a question:
In this option, the respondent has the option to write a short answer that is near to 36 characters.
If the answer is going to be large then it is best to use paragraph option where the respondent can answer in paras.
It can be used when a respondent has to choose one out of many options.
This option can be used when the respondent when there are multiple options to choose but the user can choose more than one option.
In this option, respondent is given an option to choose a specific answer from multiple choices in a dropdown list.
You can allow the respondent to upload a file using this option.
Using this potion, the respondent gets to give a rating from 0 to 10.
Multiple choice grid
This option provides with rows and columns to fill where you the respondent to answer about each aspect present in the column about various options given in the rows.
The “Response” tab
- In this tab, you have the option to create a spreadsheet using all the responses you receive.
- You can customize various aspects of it such as getting email notifications for new responses, downloading response, deleting any response etc.
The “Settings” widget
- On clicking the “Settings” widget, you get various settings that are divided into three tabs named as “General”, “Presentation” and “Quizzes”.
- In the “General” tab, you have the option to collect email addresses, limit the response to 1 for each respondent and you can also see summary charts and text responses.
- In the “Presentation” tab, you have options like “Show progress bar”, “Shuffle question order”, “Show link to submit another response” as well as you have an option to present a confirmation message once it the survey is completed.
- In the “Quizzes” tab, you will have options to make the form as a quiz where the respondent will be given points, there’s also an option to give grades with the option to choose whether to give grades immediately after each submission or later after manual review. There are also options for respondents to see any missed questions, correct answers and point values. You can tick the options you want.
The “Color Palette” widget
- Using this widget, you can easily set up the background for your survey form. You can set a solid color as background or any other images that are available as well as can upload any image that you want to use.
The “Preview” widget
- This widget simply provides you a preview of the survey you have created. Using this widget, you can have a respondent’s point of view of the survey and look for any changes you would like to do.
The “More” tab
- The “More” tab has a few more things to do, you can undo a change, make a copy, get a pre-filled link, print your form, set preferences, use add-ons, add collaborators and also has a Script editor.
Step 4: Sending the survey
After setting up your survey, the last step is sending the survey. You can send it via mail, or a link. You also have an option to share it on social media platforms like Google+, Facebook, and Twitter. For sending the survey through the mail, you have a box where you have to write the recipient’s email address along with the subject and a message. Along with this, there’s also an option to include the form in the mail as well as collaborators in it.
So, after you have set up everything, you are good to go with your own survey. Google has produced a pretty nifty tool that is easy to use as well as has the much-needed features and options in its arsenal. Being a Google software tool, its integration is also good with Google’s other tools. One can easily use this tool for making surveys as well as other types of forms. This tool can be used for Corporate purposes as well as for a simple feedback. Go ahead and use this service by Google till it is free.