Sony has brought out an update for the new PlayStation 4 which allows you to stream and play PlayStation 4 games on Windows and Mac systems. This also enables you to play parallel on both the systems. One person can play on PC while one more person parallelly can play on the linked PS4 as a local multiplayer game via PS4 Remote Play.
Table of Contents - Article Hierarchy
The update has opened up a bundle of opportunities for people who share the TV or play games. The setup of this futuristic feature is general and easy provided you are provided with a good internet connection. Games can be played even when you are not at home.
There are 2 main features announced for the Sony PlayStation in the PS4 Remote play version 2.0.0 update is:
- You can now make use of the microphones on your Windows or Mac system for voice chat in games.
- Stability while using some of the features has been improved.
Prerequisites Before you begin the Setup:
Before beginning with the setup lets learn about the basic requirements for setting up your PS4 Remote Play. Below given is the list of thing you need before starting the setup:
System(Windows or Mac) with some given below elaborated basic specifications.
- 2 GB of RAM.
- A spare USB port in the system.
- A dual shock 4 controllers with a USB cable.
- Proper internet connection either wired or WiFi network of 5Mbps, fast enough to let you download or upload remote online play.
If it is a Windows PC:
- Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 Operating System
- Intel Core i5-560M Processor clocked at 2.67 GHz or faster
- 100 MB or more of available storage space on your hard disk
- 2 GB or more of RAM
- 1024 x 768 or higher display resolution. So it would be better if you have a full HD monitor attached to your PC.
- USB port
If it is Mac OS system you will need a computer with either of the following specifications:
- OS X Yosemite or OS X El Capitan
- Intel Core i5-520M Processor 2.40 GHz or faster
- 40 MB or more of available storage
- 40 MB or more of available storage2 GB or more of RAM
- 2 GB or more of RAM USB port
- USB port
If you are using a system that has a built-in microphone or supports it, remote play can be used to send the signal to your PS4 so you can join in using voice chat. The mic can be controlled on or off by the mic icon on the screen.
Now that you have all the required things in the list to start with the setup of your new PlayStation 4Remote play update lets go through the steps to update this futurist feature step by step.
Steps to Setup PlayStation 4 Remote Play on your PC
It is a pretty straightforward procedure which you just need to follow.
- Beginning with is, download the computer app or the software, PS4 Remote Play client from the official Sony PS Store. Take simple steps by first downloading the PS4 Remote Play app depending upon your system configuration. Once downloaded install the app onto your system.
- Enable the Remote Play. In order to Enable the Remote Play on PC got to Settings> Remote Play Connection Settings> Check the box for enabling the Remote Play.
- Run the app once the downloading finishes. The very first thing here the app will ask you to do is, to Sign in to your PlayStation account. Sign in with your existing id. You can also sign up in case you do not have the PS is. But that is highly unlikely since you need to sign in to PS account to access settings.
- Now, turn on your PS4 console and navigate to Settings > PlayStation Network/Account Management > Activate as your Primary PS4 > Active.
- Now allow Remote Play to start when PS4 gets into the Rest Mode. In order to start the Rest mode on your PS4 manually, go to Settings > Power Save settings > Set features available in Rest Mode.
- Connect to the DualShock 4 to your PC or Mac when prompted. Plugin the controller into any open USB port of your system.
- Open the Remote Play Software. Click on ‘Start’ button and as per the prompt received Sign in using the same PlayStation Network credentials used on the console.
How to manually register you PS4 to the System?
Here are few steps to follow if you wish to connect your PS4 to any system other than your primary system, you can in that case manually register or pair with the system.
- Connect your PS4 and the computer both to the same network.
- In your PS4, go to Settings > Remote Play Connection Settings > Add Device. Make note of this 8-digit code that has appeared on the screen. Also, a timer starts, leaving you with five minutes to complete your registration process.
- Launch the application on the system. Click Start.
- Click ‘Manually Register’ in the bottom.
But, in cases where ‘Register Manually’ didn’t appear in the bottom, do the given below steps:
- Click Cancel.
- Go to Settings.
- Click ‘Change’ in the ‘Change PS4 to Connect to’ area.
- Enter the 8-digit code we previously noted down.
Now, you should be good to go. You will see the notification on the PS4 system telling you that you have joined via Remote Play.
Optimizing your gaming experience
For the better results and hazel free gaming experience Sony has recommended that you connect the console directly to your router using a wired network connection. Your Remote Play also works on the internet if you have at least 5mbps speed connection in both upstream and downstream.
In the beginning, you could be a little disappointed with default resolution and framerate but this has its fix.
Launch the Remote Play app while your PS4 is off. Hit the settings and bring up the resolution setting options and tweak it as per your desire.
How does it feel Running?
After the initial disappointment, once you do the required setting as given above. On a pretty decent network connection, Remote Play is what people who wanted to relinquish the TV for whatever reason had dreamt for.
Occasional frame skip or audio block has been noticed. These things get even worse when you tend to leave Remote Play App active in the background and start doing other things.
Better experiences noticed on OS X. Latency seems to be imperceptible over a local connection.
Things are little messed up at some points because of the compression used. If you are forced to stick to anything below 540p, seems like you are gonna get disappointed with the quality of the image. Whatever the conditions, not at any point does the user feel unplayable.
Finally would sum it up, with saying that this is indeed the futuristic feature awaited by most of the gamers. With flawless gaming experience. Giving gamers the highest level of comfort and also feel realistic.
Also, coming to the final leg. We need to be aware of the procedure to uninstall the application safely.
Uninstalling the PS4 Remote Play Application from your PC:
For the windows users:
Go to the control panel and click on the programs and features, there you will find the PS4 Remote play program. Right-click on it and then click on uninstall [PS4 Remote Play].
For Mac Users:
Drag the Remote Play from the Applications folder to the Trash. Then go to finder and Empty Trash. The application will be uninstalled from your Mac.