Sometimes it becomes very irritating to check the phone time and again for notifications, calls or messages. It causes distraction and sometimes deviates the work pace. What if we can have the phone notifications, calls, messages, and other stuff from phone on our desktop or laptop? May be there is some solution, but then we must have some wired connection, like connecting the phone with the computer using data cable.
Fortunately, this is not the case. Windows store has an application named “Your Phone”. This application lets you send and receive messages, make and receive calls, sync notifications, and wireless transfer of your mobile pictures, directly from your computer. This is for people who don’t want to stop their work on one screen to check what’s up on the smaller display.
What you just need to do is to set up the application in your computer and then set up another corresponding application in your mobile phone. You need to log in with same Microsoft account on both devices and you are done with setup.
Table of Contents - Article Hierarchy
- Requirements for using “Your Phone “application
- How to setup the “Your Phone” application?
- “Calls” — New feature of “Your Phone” application
- How to Receive & Make Phone Calls on a Windows 10 PC via Your Android Phone?
- Warnings from Company:
- How to transfer photos to the PC?
- How to send/receive text messages from Windows 10 PC
Requirements for using “Your Phone “application
You don’t need much to get started. If you have a laptop or desktop and an android phone, you can start enjoying the features of “Your Phone” application.
How to setup the “Your Phone” application?
The application must be installed in your computer if you are using Windows 10 October, 2018 update. If it is not installed in your computer then you can easily get it from Windows App Store for free.
After getting the application, follow the following steps to setup the application for use:
- Open “Your Phone” application.
- On the start-up screen, you will find two options, “Android” and “iPhone”. Click on “Android”
- Now click on “Get Started” button.
- The next screen will ask you for your mobile number. Enter your number and click on the “send” button.
- You will receive a message on your phone. Open the message and click on the link.
- You will be redirected to the Play Store to download the application “Your Phone Companion – Link to Windows”
- Install the application and sign in with your Microsoft account.
- Log in to your Microsoft account in “Your Phone” application from laptop.
- Setup will proceed and a push notification will be sent to your mobile.
- Check your phone and click on “Allow” button.
- Now you are done with application set up. You can now all set to send messages from your laptop, sync notifications to your system and transfer photos.
“Calls” — New feature of “Your Phone” application
“Your Phone” application will now support calling from Windows 10. Using this, you can pick up incoming calls or make new calls through your PC without picking up your mobile phone. This feature has been released for Windows 10 preview built 189999 or Insiders. There are hardware and software requirements for using the “Your Phone” application to make phone calls.
Even for the Insiders, there are technical requirements that need to be met before experiencing the “Calls” feature of the “Your Phone” application.
The minimum system requirements are:
- PC with Windows 10 April 2018 update or later.
- An Android phone with Android 7.0 or above.
- 19H1 or newer build of Windows 10.
- Windows 10 PC must have Bluetooth support.
- Microphone and spekers.
After getting all the prerequisites ready, you will be able to use the “Calls” feature of the “Your Phone” application. The feature will let you do the following actions:
- Answer incoming calls.
- Make calls using an in-app dialer.
- Access the contact saved in your mobile phone.
- Decline the incoming calls and send a customized message to the callers in case you decline the call.
- Maintain the record of recent calls.
- Switch the calls to the phone.
How to Receive & Make Phone Calls on a Windows 10 PC via Your Android Phone?
Calling from your Windows 10 PC is just few steps away, let’s start:
- Step 1
Launch “Your Phone” application.
- Step 2:
Setup the application in your PC and mobile phone. (Refer the setup steps explained in first section).
- Step 3
Allow the application to manage your calls, from the mobile phone.
- Step 4:
Get back to your PC, as you set up the application on your system, a panel on the left side will appear on the application window. Click on “Calls (in preview)” from the left panel.
The keypad with the search bar will appear. You can dial a any number or can also use your saved contacts using the search bar.
Warnings from Company:
In certain situations, you may be required to set up the application more than once. If you have previously paired your device then you need to un-pair and then set up the application again to pair the device.
However, “Your Phone” application is an overlooked feature of Windows 10, it is a powerful tool. Transferring photos, sending messages and notification features are working well on current updates of Windows 10. Newer features like, “Screen Mirror” and “Calls” have been rolled onto the Insiders build and will soon add on the “Your Phone” application in the upcoming stable update of Windows 10.
How to transfer photos to the PC?
Click on “Photos” in the left side bar. The application will show you the recent pictures that you have taken from your mobile.
These pictures can be dragged to any folder in your system or can be copied or saved using the right-click menu.
It is much better than using data cables or using Google Photos and One Drive. It also saves a lot of time.
How to send/receive text messages from Windows 10 PC
On the left side bar of the “Your Phone” application, there is a tab named “Messages”. Click on “Messages” tab and you will get your conversations synced to your computer. Now you can easily check the received messages and, can send new messages also. Charges will apply as per tariff and deduction will be done from mobile phone.