Using your iPhone as a hotspot for your various devices is quite easy. This is mainly because you have choices. You can either connect with WiFi, Bluetooth, or USB.
Each of these will achieve the same results and you’ll get to enjoy using your portable hotspot.
Connecting your iPhone to the PC via USB is a very good idea mainly because your phone will also be charged in the process. This ensures that you do not deplete your battery life. Using iPhone on Windows and Mac will be a bit different. Each one will require you to take different steps to achieve your goal. This is mainly because ‘Apple’ products will pair better together but it might take you a while to connect to Windows.
Table of Contents - Article Hierarchy
Steps to Connect iPhone Portable Hotspot to Windows 10 PC via USB
- Go to your PC and plug the iPhone into a USB port using your charging cable. Tap ‘trust’ on the window that appears on your iPhone.
- Then close the autoplay window that pops up on your PC.
- Now make sure you have iTunes downloaded on your PC and open it.
- On the left side of the iTunes window, you’ll see your iPhone appear under ‘Devices’
- On your iPhone, go to settings then navigate to personal hotspot
- Once there, tap the toggle to turn it on
Your computer should now be connected to the internet. To confirm this, just go to the bottom right-hand side of your screen and click on the computer icon. A window will pop up that will let you know whether your PC is connected.
It is important to note that you may encounter some issues.
- If you cannot access the personal hotspot then you will have to turn on mobile data or go to cellular settings.
- If you cannot see your device on the iTunes window, then open ‘Device Manager’ then go to ‘other devices’ and you’ll find your iPhone device. Once there right-click on it and choose ‘update driver’. You can now restart and go back to your iTunes to find the device.
Steps to Connect iPhone Hotspot to Mac via USB
- Download the latest version of iTunes to your Mac.
- Go to the settings on your iPhone then navigate to Personal hotspot and toggle to switch it on.
- Using your USB cable, connect your iPhone to the Mac PC. Once this is done, iTunes will recognize your phone.
- You’ll get a prompt on your iPhone where you should click on ‘trust’ when asked ‘trust this computer’.
- Now go to your Mac and open ‘system preferences’ then click ‘Network’ and select ‘iPhone USB’. However, you should note that if you are connected to wifi then the personal hotspot might not show.
Other Methods To Connect iPhone as a Portable Hotspot
For WiFi, all you need is to turn on your hotspot and also your mobile data. Then go to your computer and just click on the wifi icon. This will bring up your iPhone and you can then enter the password and connect.
For Bluetooth, it will be different for both windows and mac. When it comes to windows, first click on the Bluetooth icon and choose ‘join a personal network’. Click on add device then choose your iPhone. You’ll then get a paring code then click yes. After it’s done installing all the files needed to connect, you can now use your iPhone as an access point and enjoy the internet.
On Mac, all you need to do is go to system preferences then go to Bluetooth then click on pair with your iPhone. Once it is paired, go to the menu bar and click on Bluetooth then navigate to your iPhone. Click the choose ‘connect to network’. Once that is done you can successfully access the internet.
Connecting your iPhone to your PC as a personal hotspot is an easy task provided you follow all the steps. Take your time and realize that if it doesn’t work out for you for some reason you can always opt for any of the other methods as mentioned above.