You can consider a user agent as a user representative. It’s a string in the browser. It introduces the browser and the operating system to the web browser. It is included in the HTTP header when the browser connects to a website. The user agent identifies the web browser, and this is the reason that every browser has a different user agent. In simple words, you can say that a user agent says to the web server, “Hi, I am Mozilla.” or “Hi, I am Firefox.” The web server sends back data accordingly, after identifying the browser. For example, mobile pages are sent to the mobile servers, contemporary pages to updated browsers etc.
If you ever want to fake the web server that the request is coming from a different browser, in order to avail some features which the web browser is not granting to; you can change your browser user-agent to something else to access that browser-exclusive content. Now, let’s get started with our guide.
Table of Contents - Article Hierarchy
1. How to Change User Agent in Google Chrome without Any Extension:
- Step 1: Open Developer tools. Click on the menu button,then go to “More Tools” and then click on “Developer Tools”. Alternately, you can use a combination of keys, that is Ctrl+Shift+I, to open developer tools window.
- Step 2: Click on the menu button at the right side of the console. Then select “Network Conditions”. A tab with the name “Network Conditions” will appear beside Console tab in the same window.
Note: If console window is not opened then click the menu icon at the top right corner of Developer Tools window and click on “Show Console”.
- Step 3: In the Network Conditions tab, uncheck the checkbox with the label “Select Automatically”. Now you can select any user agent from the dropdown menu OR you can also copy and paste any user agent in the bar.
This change is temporary and will only be applied to the current tab as long as the developer tools window is open.
2. How to Change User Agent in Mozilla Firefox without Any Addon?
- Step 1: Access the “about:config” page, by typing “about:config” in the search bar of Mozilla Firefox and press Enter. A security message will appear. Check the checkbox with the label “Show this warning next time” and then click on “I accept the risk” button.
- Step 2: Type “user agent” in the search bar and look for “general.useragent.override” preference. Then, riight click on “general.useragent.override”, and select “Modify”
A dialogue box will appear,
Note: It is not important that “general.useragent.override” preference exists in your computer. If it’s not present, you can create this preference, using the following method:
Create the preference, by right clicking on the “about:config” page, then select “New” and then “String”
A dialogue box will appear. Type “general.useragent.override” in the text box.
- Step 3: Now you can enter any user agent in the text box, as you desire.
You need to look for your desired user agent on the web. Here’s a link:
Now click “OK”.
Note: This change is permanent and applies to all the tabs. This will not change evenif you close nd then re-open Firefox, until you change it again.
To reset to default settings, right click on “general.useragent.override” and select “Reset”.
3. How to Change User-Agent in Safari Easily?
- Step 1: Open Safari browser. Open its menu by clicking on the menu icon and select “Preferences”.
A pop-up window will appear.
- Step 2: Click on “Advanced” tab, check the checkbox with the label “Show Develop in the menu bar”.
Now close the pop-up window.
- Step 3: You will observe change in menu bar.
Now click on the “Develop” option, that appeared on the menu bar after change in settings, and go to “User Agent”. From the extended options you can change the user agent to any of the available browser’s user agent.
The list is limited but there is an option named “Other…”. You can click it; and a dialogue box will appear. You can now enter any user agent string in the textbox as desired.
Note: This changed user agent will be held until the browser is closed. Once its closed, it will reset to default user agent automatically.