When you are a web blogger, writer, webmaster, SEO expert, a reviewer or deal with an occupation that is associated with words/texts, I’m pretty sure you often need to count the number of words you upload or see on a web page. To calculate words generally, we either copy-paste the context in Microsoft Word Document so that it is displayed in the left bottom of the bar or we get to an online word counting website for it. Both the job is tiring and time-consuming. So what is the ideal practical solution? Getting a web browser extension is a way out. This tutorial has listed two add on extensions for Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome browser. This will automatically count words of a web page on Chrome & Firefox. The tools mentioned below works well on the latest versions of the browser.
Table of Contents - Article Hierarchy
- About the Word Count Tool:
- Word Count Tool for Mozilla Firefox:
- Word Count Tool for Google Chrome:
- Character Count Tool For Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome:
Without much ado, let’s begin:
About the Word Count Tool:
Word Count Tool is a unique software that allows users to easily count words and characters of web pages. It is a prominent tool in the translation and transcription industry because it is handy and saves precious time.
The software is equipped with advanced features for a fast process. For a large amount of data, this tool is a hoarder. It quickly calculates the words of a web page and reduces the labors of an individual.
- Version: 2.3
- Size: 8.48KB
- Language: English
- Developer: Phuong Hoa Minh, Lien Chieu and Da Nang 550000
Features of the Word Count Tool:
- Multi-process enabled
- Multi spaces checked
- Checks Special Characters
- Saves time and efforts
- It is a reliable tool that can process a large amount of data
- Easy to use
Also Read: Best Firefox AddOns 2019 – The Ultimate List
Word Count Tool for Mozilla Firefox:
Word Count Tool will keep a track on word and characters of a web page via Add-on bar at the bottom of the web browser.
Given below are the methods to use Add-on on Firefox:
- Click on this link: World Count Tool for Firefox.
- And install the Add-on. No restart is required.
- After installation, an icon of the Word Count Tool will show at the bottom. If you are not able to see, go to the View menu from Top bar, toolbar, and tap on Add-on bar.
View Menu> Toolbars> Add-on Bar
The shortcut key for this process is “Ctrl + /”
- The number of words and characters will appear once the texts are selected in the web page on Mozilla Firefox. You can highlight any text from your piece of writing or any website.
Example: We took an example of a Word Press document where the tool is showing counted words and characters at the bottom.
2. Similarly, if you want are looking forward to estimating the number of expressions of a published article on a website. Just highlight the word and it will show subsequent results.
3. Another feature a Word Count Tool provides you is the additional information that is displayed if you hit the bottom icon on the bar.
Shortcut keys for this function are Ctrl+Alt+C. This pops a window including more information regarding the texts. It shows the number of text, paragraphs, word length, types of words (Difficult, Short and Unique), readability score etc.
**Note: If you are not interested in using an Add-on extension for word counts, use a context menu instead. For this highlight the text and right click and go to the Word Count Tool. There are numerous options appear on your screen which does not show on Add-on bar extension.
Through the context menu, a detailed pop-up window emerges. After a right-click the last icon lets you choose from various options like view word count, not displaying statistics in the bar, click for Non-English text and visiting web version.
Word Count Tool for Google Chrome:
If you are using Google Chrome and want this tool for your PC, don’t worry. Word Count Tool provides similar features as it covers for Mozilla Firefox. To get one for your Chrome browser, follow the steps:
- Go to the Google Chrome Webstore. For this tap on this link.
- Hit to the install button and get the Add-on extension.
- Once it is installed, a “W” icon will show in the bar beside the address bar.
- Just go to any website and click on the “W” icon. A number of words will be displayed on your screen.
- This extension has some limitations. Like it does not work for many Google websites Gmail, Google Drive etc.
Character Count Tool For Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome:
Characters counter is an apt elucidation when it is about posting messages on social media. Twitter is one social platform that restricts word limits. Even Linked In has the same boundaries.
If you have filled online forms, you must be aware that it also contains the character perimeter. But they do not show word or character counts that are when you look for an alternate tool. For this, a third party tool is needed. Character count is one such tool that is suitable and handy.
How to use Character Count:
- Download the tool from the link provided above.
- Install and click the extension button to activate, the tool appears on the top right corner in the bar (Google Chrome) and in the right bottom bar of Mozilla Firefox
- Select the characters from the text (It will appear)
- Or use shortcuts like Ctrl + a
- Click the extension button for activation and deactivation
These tools are frequently used by bloggers, authors and SEO masters as their work relies upon online business.
There are several word counting tools available in the market but we chose these two as per user reviews. However, the Word Count Tool is one we swear by. It is a famous and useful tool to keep track of word counts and other context information.
If you are looking for a convenient technique for word counting of a web page then go for the listed tools. What is your pick, Word Count Tool or Character Counter? Or you are using some other software?
Was this article helpful? Do write to us.