Google Chrome’s Dark Mode or Night Theme enables the user to choose from the dark or light mode. It also comes with a feature to switch from either automatically. Dark mode is useful for users working for long hours on their devices. It helps in eye fatigue and it also reduces power consumption.
Google Chrome Dark Mode or Night Mode is made available to users now. Google started working on the dark mode in late 2018 after the release of MacOS. A demand was continuously growing for Google to provide Chrome with the facility as MacOS was launched with dark skin UI.
It also provides users with the option to configure Chrome into a permanent dark mode. Even if the background OS UI setting is set for light version.
However, it is only available for users through Google Chrome Canary distributions. Canary is an experimental version of Chrome. It is used to test new features before launching them separately.
How to enable Google Chrome Dark Mode on Windows 10
- Firstly, the users need to download and install Google Chrome Canary
- Pin the shortcut of the Canary version to the desktop
- Right-click the shortcut and tap on ‘Properties’
- Chose ‘Target’ field and edit syntax as ‘\chrome.exe’ –force-dark-mode’
- Click Apply and OK to save changes
Canary is a testing version so we recommend you not to use this version for works related to banking or payments.
How to enable Google Chrome Dark Mode on MacOS
MacOS 10.14 Mojave was launched with the popular dark Mode feature. Google Chrome has launched the feature for MacOs too, but with a catch.
- Firstly, download Chromium on your Mac
- Save the app on your Applications folder
- Open Terminal app and enter this code
- This will enable Dark Mode for all times
- If you want to use Dark Mode when the MacOS is on Dark Mode then you need to enter this code instead
Chromium should not be used as a default browser as it is used for testing and is unstable. But, trying the new feature even before it is launched on Chrome is a good experience for developers.